How to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa from outside the UK

This page provides information on applying for a Tier 4 student visa from outside the UK.

If you need further advice, please contact our Admissions Unit at

How to complete the application

Before you can apply for your visa you need your CAS statement from the University. You will not be given this until your offer from the University has become unconditional and please be aware that you cannot apply for a visa more than 3 months before your course start date.

You will need to apply for your visa using the online application form available on the Visa4UK website.

Further Information

  *   UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
  *   Tier 4 Policy Guidance
  *   How to apply for a Tier 4 visa from outside the UK
  *   Enrolling for Biometric Residence Permits
  *   Tuberculosis screening
  *   Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
  *   OANDA currency converter

The cost of making a Tier 4 Student Visa application overseas is £335, payable in local currency (this cost may change please check UKVI website). In-person applications, if available, will incur a higher cost.

All visa applicants are required to provide biometric data and some overseas visa applicants will also need to undergo Health (tuberculosis) screening. There is more information about providing biometric data and undergoing health screening on the Home Office website.

If your visa application is successful, a visa sticker will be placed in your passport giving details of the length of your leave to enter, as well as any further requirements such as police registration. As a Tier 4 student as a visa condition you will not be able to work in the UK whilst studying at Amity London. Your visa will allow you to enter and leave the UK for the duration of its validity.

Documents you will need in support of your application

It is your responsibility to collect the documents you need for your visa application. Your application form will confirm which documents you need to submit from the following:

  1.  Passport - Your current passport and any previous passports that you have, that contain a UK visa.
  2.  Two passport photographs - Photos which meet the requirements of the Home Office.
  3.  Financial documents - Documents which prove you have the required funds available to you (unless you are a 'low risk' applicant).

*   If you are a new student you will need to show that you have a minimum of £1,265 per month to cover the first 9 months of your course (£11,385) plus any outstanding tuition fees for the first year of your course.
*   The funds detailed above need to be evidenced in a bank account for a minimum of 28 days and your bank statement must be no more than one calendar month old (using the date of the closing balance) on the date you make your visa application.
*   Bank statements, bank letters and savings books (for an account in your name) are all considered acceptable financial documents. Please note that electronic bank statements should be stamped by the bank on each page, and must include the account number, date and bank logo.

*   If you are being officially financially sponsored you will need a letter from your sponsor confirming the sponsorship arrangements, including how much money you have been awarded, what the money is intended to be used for and the dates the sponsorship is valid for.
*   If you are relying on money held in a parent/ legal guardian's bank account you will need:

*   Your original birth certificate/ certificate of adoption/ court statement (showing the name of the parent/ legal guardian(s) providing the funds),

* Your parent/ legal guardian's bank statement, and
*   An original signed and dated letter from your parent/ legal guardian confirming their relationship with you and that they give consent to making their funds available to you

*   If you are using overseas currency, the Home Office will expect you to show the closing balance in pounds sterling using the official exchange rate on the OANDA website. Please write directly on your bank statement the amount in GBP sterling of the closing balance, the date of the conversion and confirmation that you used
     *   Evidence of previous qualifications mentioned in the 'evidence used to obtain' section of your CAS. If you are a 'low risk' applicant or your CAS states that you are being sponsored on the basis of 'progression on programme to date' you do not need to provide qualification evidence.

  1.  Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)
  2.  ATAS Certificate (if applicable). (See below)
  3.  Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (if applicable).  You will have a BRP if you applied for your current Tier 4 visa in the UK.
  4.  A medical certificate (if applicable) (please see the information on Health (tuberculosis) screening on the Home Office website).

All documents submitted must be original documents and any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a full translation that can be checked by UK Visas and Immigration. The original translation must contain:

  *   confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  *   the date of the translation
  *   the translator's full name, contact details and signature
  *   the translator's qualification or credentials

'Low Risk' Applicants

A Tier 4 student qualifies for the differentiation arrangements if he/she is a national of one of the countries the Home Office classifies as 'Low risk'.

If you are a national of one of the countries the Home Office classifies as 'low risk', there is no requirement to provide evidence of finances or qualifications with your Tier 4 application. However, you will need to provide an ATAS certificate (if appropriate) and sign your application form to confirm you have sufficient funds and that you hold documentary evidence of any qualifications listed.  The Home Office reserves the right to ask you to provide these documents at a later date. Failure to provide the evidence if requested by the Home Office will result in your application being refused.

ATAS Certificates

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) was introduced in order to ensure that people who are applying to study certain sensitive subjects in the UK do not have links to Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). Non-EEA students studying on certain science, engineering and technology degrees will have to apply for an ATAS clearance certificate before obtaining a new visa.   To check whether you need an ATAS certificate, and for more details about the ATAS scheme, please see the Home Office website.

Failure to provide a valid ATAS clearance certificate (if your course requires one) when you submit your Tier 4 online application form will result in your application being refused.

To apply for an ATAS certificate you first need to use the text provided in your unconditional offer letter.

You should then go to the Home Office website and using your text, complete the online application form. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) will process the application and email a certificate to you, which you should print out and submit with your other documents. The FCO gets very busy at certain times of the year and so you are strongly advised to apply at least 8 weeks before you intend to renew your student visa.

Immigration Health Surcharge

From 6 April 2015 applications for visas that are more than six months long will also include an 'immigration health surcharge'.  The cost is based on the length of the visa that you are applying for. Paying this charge as part of your application will mean that you are entitled to receive certain free health services from the National Health Service (NHS) while you are in the UK, but please note that this is not private medical insurance.

The surcharge is calculated as £150 per year for each year of your visa. If your visa includes part of a year that is six months or less you will be charged an additional £75 for this period.  If your visa includes part of a year that is more than six months, you will have to pay £150 for this period.  For example, if your CAS states that your course starts in October 2015 and ends in June 2018 you should be granted a visa from September 2015 until October 2018 and the immigration surcharge will therefore be £525.

You can use the Immigration Health Surcharge tool on the Home Office website to check how much you will have to pay.

The Tier 4 application form will direct you to the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) portal where you can pay the required charge.

Note: some people are exempt from paying the immigration health surcharge, including Australian and New Zealand nationals and British Overseas Territory citizens who live in the Falkland Islands.  However, these applicants must still complete the IHS portal and obtain a reference number.


As a Tier 4 student you will not be able to bring family members with you as dependants to your visa whilst studying at Amity London.